Recipe by our friends at Lune + Wild who deliver seasonal, organic children's meals for first tastes and beyond. Ideal for raising curious and confident eaters for life.
A delicious roasted carrot mash perfect on toast for a delicious and creative lunch. You can try getting the kids involved, think the toast as a blank canvas and the toppings and herbs can be used to get creative, making little works of art!
for carrot mash
- 1/2kg of carrots, peeled and quartered
- 15g oregano leaves
- 25ml of orange juice.
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of salt (optional depending on kids age)
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally
for parsley pesto
- 25g of parsley, roughly chopped, leaves and stems
- 30g of basil, roughly chopped, just leaves
- 25g of cashew nuts, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes.
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional depending on kids age)
- 10g parmesan, grated (optional)
- Heat your oven to 180ºc fan, 200ºc electric, gas mark 6
- Place all the ingredients for the carrot mash into a large bowl and mix, allowing for the carrots to become coated
- Empty the contents of the bowl onto a lined baking sheet
- Take the halved garlic bulb and wrap it loosely in tin foil. Place it on the tray with the carrots
- Put the tray in the oven for 40 minutes allowing the carrots to become tender and caramelised.
- Whilst your carrots and garlic are roasting, drain the cashews and put them, along with the rest of your pesto ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- After 40 minutes, remove your carrots and garlic from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Squeeze the roasted cloves of garlic from their skin onto the carrots.
- With a fork, mash the carrots and garlic together into a rough spread.
- Spread the chunky carrot mash onto hot slices of toast and top with lashings of pesto. If you’re making this with your little ones, use the toast as a base and the spreads as paint. Make shapes with the two colours, use your Herboo leaves to add details. Enjoy your food.
grow to eat
about lune + wild
Lune + Wild delivers seasonal, organic children’s meals from first tastes and beyond; helping parents raise curious and confident eaters for life.
Founded by cousins Nadia and Lara, on a mission to provide food for a better future. They believe in providing the best meal time support, without compromise on quality, nutrition or freshness.
As a mother and chef team, they work alongside a Paediatric Dietitian to create meals that are seriously delicious and optimised nutritionally. Being planet-positive is a key focus, by carefully selecting responsible suppliers and minimising waste, they put care into their decisions from Soil to Spoon.
The menu changes seasonally, every 3 months, to include a huge variety of fresh organic produce. Delivered freshly frozen within London. www.luneandwild.co.uk